one guy trying to understand what it means to follow jesus

Tuesday, June 13

why I listen

I listen to Pearl Jam because the pain represented in Vedder’s early lyrics reverberates within me while the healing represented by his more recent work inspires me.

I listen to Johnny Cash because the raw honesty of his music mixed with an undeniably dark outlook on life leaves me feeling like I’m conversing with a treasured friend, even when the story told is foreign to me.

I listen to Audio Slave because Chris Cornell screams questions aimed at the discovery of truth and he is unafraid to scream those questions even toward God himself.

I listen to the Old 97’s because they are wildly fun and delightfully irreverent.

I listen to U2 because Bono is a musician-turned-world-leader who actually cares about the poor and hurting. His music, while not always pointed at world issues, often reveals the depth of true love in its various forms.

I listen to Derek Webb because he is one of a very few Christians artists unapologetically calling the church to be what she has been called to be.

What do you listen to and why?

1 Comments:

Blogger Randy said...

I listen to Jimmy Buffet because he's a great story teller and I want to live on the beach.

3:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
 
php hit counter