one guy trying to understand what it means to follow jesus

Sunday, September 17

playing the fool

I’ve been thinking some about the practicality of Jesus’ teaching lately. You know, pondering it’s relevance for day-to-day living. I’ve arrived at two conclusions, and, to be honest, they leave me more unsettled than anything else.

On the one hand there is a degree to which living as Jesus prescribes yields obvious rewards, not just beyond death but right here and now. If you’re nice to people, they’re typically nice right back to you. You forgive, you get forgiven. You love, you get loved. In fact, it is this very balance that gets preached most here in America—kind of a you-scratch-my-back-I’ll-scratch-yours theology. We assume that this is what Paul means when he writes that “in all things God works for the good of those who love Him,” (Romans 8:28). Living selflessly may be hard for a time, but the real truth is that you get back what you give. So your selfless living is really more like a deposit in the Karma bank. You’re gonna get it back.

The problem is that doesn’t mesh very well with what Jesus actually taught. Consider, for example, the Sermon on the Mount found in Mathew 5-7. Many believe this to be Jesus’ greatest sermon. Okay, I can understand that given the scope and depth of what He says, but most of us hold this particular teaching at arms length, refusing to really dive into it and examine ourselves in the light of it.

Jesus begins with what we call the beatitudes. We like to teach these in Sunday school. To small children. We talk about this like they’re poetic and “nice”. Nice? Here’s what I mean: some of the beatitudes make sense to me—blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, are merciful, are pure in heart and are peacemakers. I can understand these as noble character traits. But blessed are the poor in spirit? Those who mourn? The meek? Those who are persecuted? That’s blessing? This is Jesus’ practical teaching on how to live? “Be sad, be spiritually bankrupt, suppress your strengths and rejoice when people pick on you—then you are truly blessed.” Does anyone else have a hard time swallowing this?

This is the sense in which Jesus’ teachings are anything but relevant, particularly in a culture like ours. We love power and independence and being happy. We would never want anything but those things, let alone pursue their opposites.


And really when you consider Jesus’ teachings regarding being nice and forgiving and loving, even those are more than you bargain for. Jesus says to love our enemies. Our enemies. Not just the bully who picked on you in the fifth grade or that guy at the office who you can’t stand—our enemies. People like terrorists and rapists, killers and child molesters. Yeah, love them. And not love from a distance. Oh, no. Not this “Well, I love them with the love of the Lord” stuff. No, real love. Love that can be seen in action. Love like the kind of love you have for yourself or your family. Love that visits them in jail, for example.

Try that on for size. It’s hard. Really hard.

So this is what I’ve been thinking about and I’ve been hitting my head up against the reality that our culture isn’t very well situated for this kind of a life. I mean, folks here in America, “Christian” though we may be, wouldn’t be too crazy about someone who took all of Jesus’ teachings seriously and actually tried to live like that. People would think you were nuts. You kind of would be. When I read Paul and he says we should be “fools for Christ” it sounds poetic to me and kind of cool. This just sounds crazy.

But that’s what Jesus calls for. Given the course of His life, we shouldn’t be surprised. The “suffering servant” has, in fact, called us to follow Him. We act like it’s exciting and fun. It can be, but more often than not, when you get past the warm-fuzzy part, it’s as scary as it is anything else. This playing the fool stuff. This following Jesus. This social revolution.

And I’m trying to figure out how you do that. Any thoughts?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's intersting you should bring this up. I'm actually teaching through the Sermon on the Mount with the High School students rights now. It's the first time I've ever done an in-depth study of it, and wow! I can honestly say it has been the most impacting and challenging thing I have done in a long time. It's like a lot of things that I never could quite grasp in a consistent system have now come into focus. a lot of what I thought I understood has been pretty thoroughly shaken, and I realize that a lot of sermons I have heard on passage from the Sermon on the Mount, particularly the Beatitudes, were hollow shells of what Jesus was really saying.

My mind is just overflowing with things to say about what you wrote regarding this, but it would take pages which neither want to read nor do I have the time to type.

In my preparation for teaching I've come across a book called "Studies in the Sermon on the Mount" by D. Martin Lloyd-Jones. It is now among my top 5 five books I would recommend. It's fairly thick - nearly 600 pages, and his examples are a little dated (it was written in 1959), but I would dare say the spiritual truth and depth that he brings out is timelessly relevant. Much of his criticism of the church, though nearly 50 years ago, sounds like it was written today.

I'll just touch on this - he shows how the Beatitudes are far from nice-sounding individual character traits. He shows the logical sequence from one to another in such a way that, after you read it, you wonder how you never saw it to begin with. Being "poor in spirit" is not simply a good thing to strive for, it is the foundation from which all Christian character flows.

I think he rightly says that the Sermon on the Mount, and the Beatitudes in particular, show the unique difference between true Christian character and the common good morality that you find in most major religions and philosophies.

5:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
 
php hit counter