one guy trying to understand what it means to follow jesus

Monday, June 19

free speech

A good friend has asked me to remove the comment moderator from my blog. He writes:

“Would you please take off your comment moderation. I'm not sure why it bothers me so much but it really does. I understand if you chose not to.”

It bothers me, too, Randy. It bothers me that I found it necessary to use the comment moderator in the first place. But, low and behold, there are people out there who found my blog to be a convenient medium for their strong opinions about me. Which would have been just fine if those strong opinions had been positive.

They were, however, about as positive as bacterial pneumonia is fun. Which is to say not at all.

But whatever it was I felt I had to lose when I turned the comment moderator on I don’t feel as insecure about now. I mean, I know some of these folks, the folks who don’t like me, still read my blog. (Hi guys! Isn’t it cool that you can track web traffic through the modern miracle of technology! I am so glad to see that some of you are regular, even daily, readers!) But I am no longer intimidated by the opinions of others. So, Randy, you get your wish. The comment moderator is set to “off.”

If you’re reading and you think my opinions are crap, you can now feel free to say so. If you think I’m brilliant, insane, ungodly, silly, stupid or (more likely) cleverly witty with a satisfying hint of genius, I invite you to click on the comment button and speak your mind. Why not? Tell me what you think of God, what you think of my writing style, my morals, what you think of the musical artistry that is Pearl Jam or what you think of church.

Your opinions are welcome here at disciple 13!

I mean, I can always turn the comment moderator back on, right?

5 Comments:

Blogger Randy said...

Good call oh gifted one. We all recieve good and bad from this world. Its easier to take when it comes from those who care but it comes none the less. Jesus had a unique way of dealing with those who reviled him. We need more of that respose to revilers today.

8:15 AM

 
Blogger adam said...

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I agree with you both.

One of the things that amazes me about Jesus as a person is his ability to handle criticism. With incredible consistency he was able to either (1) use criticism as a launch point for teach or (2) totally defuse the situation by turning the criticism on the critic.

This teaches me that criticism, even when it's ruthlessly biting or completely inaccurate, isn't something to run from.

So I'm not running.

11:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

adam i know you are getting all of my emails and messages and everything else so why cant you talk to me?? why wont you talk to me? i am begging you adam. your not the same guy you were when you were down in victoria. you would always make time to sit down with someone to listen to what they are struggling with but now you wont even answer my messages email anything....its like your avoiding me, why?? what did i do that was so wrong??

you know who this is from

10:23 PM

 
Blogger adam said...

At least one reason why I had the "comment monitor" turned on: read the above commment.

A blog is not the appropriate format for addressing personal matters.

8:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well maybe if you would talk to people like you promiced them you wouldnt be getting comments adressing personal matters on your blog!!

12:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License.
 
php hit counter